Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, this position’s duties consist of supporting the daily accounting processes, payroll activities, and monthly accounting close. This will include preparation and posting of journal entries in the Blackbaud Financial Edge General Ledger software, monitoring of cash activity, reconciliation of accounts, maintenance of documentation for the financial control environment, generation of reports and special projects as assigned. Duties include communication, collaboration and coordination with chapter staff as a problem solver and multi-tasker for fluctuating workload supporting chapter priorities and supervision of up to two employees.
Accounts payable – Financial review of purchase orders, check requests, invoices, employee and volunteer reimbursements, and business credit card reconciliations for accuracy, completeness, approval, timeliness, propriety, support and coding as part of the payment process. Understanding of standards, policies and procedures for chapter and national organization and the integration of accounting processes with chapter operations and functions.
- Ensure proper authorization, documentation and recording of expenditures in general ledger system.
- Reconciliation wish assist billings to other chapters and payments to National organization.
- Reconciliation of petty cash.
- Year-end activities including administration and filing of Form 1099’s, preparation of accruals, annual audit and requirements for Forms 990 and 945.
- Preparation of Excel spreadsheets and analysis in support of accounting processes.
Bank reconciliations - Prepare reconciliations for three bank accounts timely.
- Monitoring of bank transactions to ensure timely processing.
- Record deposits, transfers, bank fees and other miscellaneous bank activity as part of revenue accounting process.
- Review daily Raiser’s Edge donation batches to ensure timely recording of cash/revenue to G/L.
Payroll processing – Administer semi-monthly payroll for chapter staff of 30+ employees.
- Control, review and timely processing of recurring payroll and journal entries, ensuring accurate input of variable hourly components (i.e. hours for part-time employees, paid time-off hours, etc.).
- Coordination and communication with payroll service provider (Extensis) and staff.
- New hire processing and documentation compliance.
- Coordination/processing of employee payroll deductions with payroll services provider.
- Control, review and timely processing of payments for health insurance benefits.
- Control, review and reconciliation of staff paid time-off records and calculation of vacation accrual.
- Year-end activities including administration of W-2s through payroll service provider, preparation of accruals, annual audit and Form 990 requirements.
Journal entries – Month-end close of books
- Preparation of cash management journal entry.
- Preparation of month-end journal entries for one-time and recurring items, such fixed assets, depreciation, prepaid amortization and pending wish liability accruals.
- Review of in-kind accounting entries.
- Compile monthly analysis schedules and prepare journal entries for investment transfers, investment income, realized and unrealized gains and losses and management fees.
- Review of endowment performance and compilation of transfers for release of restrictions.
Reports, analysis, projects, and research, as needed
- Support the monthly close and preparation of monthly financial statements, monthly scorecard, annual audit preparation and annual budget.
- Preparation of the functional allocation and time study annually.
- Analysis of expenditures and budget variances.
- Support the annual preparation of the IRS Form 990 and other required IRS filings.
- Maintenance of internal control policies and procedures manuals, employee handbook, and organization chart.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in accounting, CPA or MBA, 4+ years accounting experience, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a proven record as a leader in problem-solving and achieving goals timely. Supervisory experience and audit experience is desired. Must be a team player with a great work ethic, and who enjoys balancing multiple priorities in pursuit of an important mission. Must have experience with maintaining accounting controls, organizing process flows, advocating process improvements and communication with senior leadership or Board members. Must be proficient at writing and influencing others to achieve compliance. Payroll and/or human resources experience required, including handling of confidential records. Must be analytical and able to work independently to develop spreadsheet formats which present information logically and clearly. Must be able to balance time-sensitive workload and be driven to achieve goals in collaboration with others. Must be accurate, precise, detail-oriented, organized, inquisitive, deadline-driven, self- motivated, energetic, and reliable. Must be able to work independently and show initiative to perform research, manage changing priorities and react swiftly to chapter business support needs. Must have advanced skills with Microsoft Excel (VLOOKUP’s, Pivot Tables), Word and Outlook and be a practiced user of standard general ledger applications. Familiarity with non-profit accounting requirements and Blackbaud Financial Edge software is preferred. Must be able to pass background and credit checks. Flexibility with hours is needed, so local candidates are preferred.
No phone calls, please. To formally apply, send your resume and cover letter (including salary requirements) to email@example.com. Please note “Accounting Manager” in the subject line.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.